Over recent years, there has been an increased demand from practitioners, implementers and administrators wanting to use DHIS2 in more efficient ways that extends beyond the manual user interface.
“When I first started working as a DHIS2 Data Administrator, I wished I would have known about API capabilities in DHIS2. Utilizing the API really speeds things up and gives you information that you can’t easily get, or sometimes get at all through the user interface.”
- Megan Kill
Do you find yourself needing to query your DHIS2 instance for more information than the user interface provides? Do you want to see reports that show the building blocks of your configuration and how metadata are related to each other? Are you an administrator responsible for a large or growing implementation and need tools to better support your DHIS2 instance and users? Do you want to know what a REST API is and how it can help with system maintenance?
If you answered yes to any of the above questions, then you won’t want to miss this Introduction to DHIS2’s Web API course. With a mix of presentations, demonstrations, and hands-on exercises, you will gain a deeper understanding of the comprehensive and powerful capabilities of DHIS2’s Web API, and how you can apply these capabilities to your own DHIS2 instance.
In this training course, you will learn the basic principles of REST APIs and how to apply them to DHIS2, including the types of requests, and the operators and filters that can be used to retrieve metadata and data in DHIS2 in the way that best suits your needs.
Basic familiarity with DHIS2 data model and configuration is essential. Participants do not require advanced working knowledge but some appreciation of foundational concepts and terminology.
This course is aimed at any DHIS2 user wanting to learn more about DHIS2’s Web API, what it is and how it can be leveraged to support DHIS2 maintenance and configuration. For example, viewing all or a subset of metadata and data in the system. Target audience groups include, but are not limited to, monitoring and evaluation staff, DHIS2 system administrators, program managers, and anyone responsible for maintaining a DHIS2 project instance.
Key Skills You Will Gain
- Application programming interface
- System maintenance and management
- Introduction to API and REST API for DHIS2
- API requests and building queries
- Field filters
- Object filters
- Querying for data
- API resources, including Postman
In this training course, you will:
- Learn the basic principles of REST APIs and how to apply them to DHIS2
- Learn the types of requests, and the operators and filters that can be used to retrieve metadata and data in DHIS2
- Understand the different resource formats available for interpretation and analysis
- Gain experience building queries for data in DHIS2 and analyzing the results
- Gain a deeper understanding of the comprehensive and powerful capabilities of API for DHIS2
- Learn how you can utilize the API to accelerate your own DHIS2 instance
- Gain key resources and documentation for API to save time and maximize efficiency
Gain practical experience with API for DHIS2 by building queries, applying filters, and analyzing the results. Discover how API unlocks a more powerful, comprehensive system overview than the standard user interface in DHIS2.
This Course Includes
- Shareable Certificate: Certificate of completion to share your achievement
- Flexible Schedule: No deadlines or timed tests
- 100% online: Start instantly and learn at your own pace
- Applied Learning Project: Includes a hands-on project to apply key concepts, maximize learning and gain practical experience
"Shoutout to the API training! It helped me so much with something I was working on today"